Five of the largest organized industrial zones of Bursa are located within the district thus in addition, the largest district in economic value. Because of the fertility of Nilufer plain, Nilufer has been settled since Bronze Age and has also sustained agricultural production. The most important sectors within the district are textile, automotive, machine, spare parts and related industry products. Uludağ University is also located in Nilufer district which has grown into a network consisting of 10 faculties, 2 high schools, 1 school at undergraduate level, 15 vocational schools, 1 conservatory, 3 institutes, 18 research centres and 5 departments under Rectorate.
Main objectives and planned implementations
- Food System Planning Strategy that will be developed and implemented within the boundaries of local government centred on citizens and food related organizations.
- Various technical, social and policy innovations will be carried out to build a holistic food ecosystem in long term.
- Access to healthy and nutritious food for all as a food security strategy will be carried out especially in the disadvantaged neighbourhoods.
- Nilufer Food Lab will be created by all food ecosystem actors such as civil society, producers, market actors, academicians, and local authorities in collaboration with urban planners via participatory implementations.
- Build shorter food supply chains and strengthen small scale agricultural enterprises and farmers with innovative business models of sustainable food planning strategy.