Differdange is a former industrial town that was home to much of Luxembourg’s steel production. While it remains an industrial center today, the city has established itself in new areas such as the creative industries (1535° Creative Hub), higher education (LUNEX) and modern sports institutions (Sportfabrick).
The city offers a rich cultural life and is surrounded by stunning forests and nature reserves. Notable landmarks include the Maison de Soins, an ancient Cistercian abbey dating back to 1235 and the Differdange Castle (1577), located on a hill in the center of the town, which is now home to Miami University’s Dolibois European Center, the university’s European campus.
Main objectives and planned implementations
- Support the development of a healthy, organic, short-circuited food system to increase local production in fruits and vegetables.
- Provide community organizations, schools and citizens free or low-cost access to a multi-functional fold lab.
- Create a neighbourhood ecosystem with the local entrepreneurs and businesses around food sustainability to boost the local economy.
- TNT – TERRITOIRE NATUREL TRANSFRONTALIER DE LA CHIERS ET DE L’ALZETTE – Transboundary Natural Territory
- University of Luxembourg – LTP